Ishavasya Upanishad Webinar
Reflection Questions Day 1
Poll:
  1. Why should the mantras of Īśāvāsya-upaniṣad not be considered as part of karma? - Karma suggest of "doing" or "undoing" something or an action. Isavasya upanisad mantras reveal the true nature of the self which is akarta, abhokta. Because mantras are revealing the nature of self, they are not to be considered as part of karma.
  2. Reflect how īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam is to be done.īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam - To know the self as all, one needs to drop the sense of individuality or identification with the body, mind and intellect. Dropping the individuality will also drop the identity of totality which will reveal the non-dual self.
  3. Why is īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam not a mental upāsanā? - Upasana requires triad of Object of Upasana (Upasya), person doing Upasana (Upasaka) and action of Upasana. This means that Upasana requires doing an action and also seeing individual to be different from the Self. While īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam, is knowledge of seeing only Self in all objects and everything in the world. Upasana provides chit-suddhi and chit-ekagrata but not the knowledge of the self. Because upasana requires an action and bhava of being different than Self, it is not the knowledge of true Self which is manifested as all and hence not same as "īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam"

1. Why should the mantras of Īśāvāsya-upaniṣad not be considered as part of karma? - Karma suggest of "doing" or "undoing" something or an action. Isavasya upanisad mantras reveal the true nature of the self which is akarta, abhokta. Because mantras are revealing the nature of self, they are not to be considered as part of karma. 2. Reflect how īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam is to be done. īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam - To know the self as all, one needs to drop the sense of individuality or identification with the body, mind and intellect. Dropping the individuality will also drop the identity of totality which will reveal the non-dual self. 3. Why is īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam not a mental upāsanā? - Upasana requires triad of Object of Upasana (Upasya), person doing Upasana (Upasaka) and action of Upasana. This means that Upasana requires doing an action and also seeing individual to be different from the Self. While īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam, is knowledge of seeing only Self in all objects and everything in the world. Upasana provides chit-suddhi and chit-ekagrata but not the knowledge of the self. Because upasana requires an action and bhava of being different than Self, it is not the knowledge of true Self which is manifested as all and hence not same as "īśāvāsyam idaṁ sarvam"

short answers :

1) bcoz it comes after the karma / action in life

2) like the space is every where irrespective of the various rooms. once room is demoished room space will merge with the total space ... per se there is no individual space... same way there is no one self ...

3) bcoz it not an action to be done... but to unwinding process

Hari Om

short answers : 1) bcoz it comes after the karma / action in life 2) like the space is every where irrespective of the various rooms. once room is demoished room space will merge with the total space ... per se there is no individual space... same way there is no one self ... 3) bcoz it not an action to be done... but to unwinding process Hari Om

Q1 Iśāvasya Upaniśad mantras cannot be considered as part of karma since -the subject matter of Upaniśad is Brahma-vidya, which is the knowledge about the Self.
-Self is ever evident, no Karma needs to be done to gain the Self-knowledge (Prāptasya prāpti). Karma needs to be done to gain something or reach somewhere. To realise the Self which is 'here and now' does not need any karma to be done.
-As Acarya Śankara says Karma is totally opposed to Jnāna.
-Self is neither a karta, bhokta or kāraka; hence in no way related to Karma.
Having said the above, as our śasta says, Karma is required for spiritual evolution and ultimately for gaining eligibility for Self-knowledge through karma-yoga, which the Upanisad will describe in verse 2.

Q1 Iśāvasya Upaniśad mantras cannot be considered as part of karma since -the subject matter of Upaniśad is Brahma-vidya, which is the knowledge about the Self. -Self is ever evident, no Karma needs to be done to gain the Self-knowledge (Prāptasya prāpti). Karma needs to be done to gain something or reach somewhere. To realise the Self which is 'here and now' does not need any karma to be done. -As Acarya Śankara says Karma is totally opposed to Jnāna. -Self is neither a karta, bhokta or kāraka; hence in no way related to Karma. Having said the above, as our śasta says, Karma is required for spiritual evolution and ultimately for gaining eligibility for Self-knowledge through karma-yoga, which the Upanisad will describe in verse 2.

Q2. To make ‘ईशावास्य इदं सर्वं’ an experienced reality, one has to start by comparing our lived experience with what the scriptures are teaching. By the process of पञ्चकोश विवेक one has to negate identification with the body-mind complex and identify with the witness-consciousness.
As one goes into deeper understanding, सर्वात्म भाव is developed and the sadhaka sees that the same spark of life enlivens all living beings – plants, insects, animals and human beings. As the knowledge deepens, the sadhaka is able to rise above the world of name and form and see the existence principle which is the substratum of everything, inert and sentient and pervades the entire gross, subtle and causal creation.

Q3. ‘ईशावास्य इदं सर्वं’ is not a mental upasana, it is the transcendental Reality which is beyond the upādhis. Self being subtler than the mind, cannot be grasped by mental imagination. Also any mental upasana will be in the form of thought, which is ever changing and will not be able to be established in the unchanging Reality.

However, as a sadhana to acquire चित्त-एकाग्रत and चित्त-विशालता gaining eligibility for Self-knowledge, many scriptures do recommend upasana as a practice.

Q2. To make ‘ईशावास्य इदं सर्वं’ an experienced reality, one has to start by comparing our lived experience with what the scriptures are teaching. By the process of पञ्चकोश विवेक one has to negate identification with the body-mind complex and identify with the witness-consciousness. As one goes into deeper understanding, सर्वात्म भाव is developed and the sadhaka sees that the same spark of life enlivens all living beings – plants, insects, animals and human beings. As the knowledge deepens, the sadhaka is able to rise above the world of name and form and see the existence principle which is the substratum of everything, inert and sentient and pervades the entire gross, subtle and causal creation. Q3. ‘ईशावास्य इदं सर्वं’ is not a mental upasana, it is the transcendental Reality which is beyond the upādhis. Self being subtler than the mind, cannot be grasped by mental imagination. Also any mental upasana will be in the form of thought, which is ever changing and will not be able to be established in the unchanging Reality. However, as a sadhana to acquire चित्त-एकाग्रत and चित्त-विशालता gaining eligibility for Self-knowledge, many scriptures do recommend upasana as a practice.
  1. Why should the mantras of Isavasya-upanisad not be considered as part of karma - Because the mantras are not meant for doing karma, it is meant to give us the True nature of the Self - in other words - teaches us Brahma Vidya - knowledge of the Self. Self is not karta, bhokta,It is not for whom , we are doing karma. It is Shudh, it is untouched by Punya and Paapa.
  2. reflect how isavasyam idam sarvam is to be done - Self is all pervading. identify with my own True Self and see myself as all pervading without identifying with the Body, mind and intellect. Remain as the Self. Abide in the knowledge - I am the Self, I am not the karta, bhokta.
  3. Why is isavasyam idam sarvam not a mental upasana - isavasyam idam sarvam is knowledge of our true self, This is not a mental activity. It is knowling, who i truely am. When i identify myself with the body, mind and intellect, i think that i am so and so. With Self- knowledge, i know my true nature as the all pervading consciousness. I alone am everything in this world. There is nothing apart from me, the pure Self.

1. Why should the mantras of Isavasya-upanisad not be considered as part of karma - Because the mantras are not meant for doing karma, it is meant to give us the True nature of the Self - in other words - teaches us Brahma Vidya - knowledge of the Self. Self is not karta, bhokta,It is not for whom , we are doing karma. It is Shudh, it is untouched by Punya and Paapa. 2. reflect how isavasyam idam sarvam is to be done - Self is all pervading. identify with my own True Self and see myself as all pervading without identifying with the Body, mind and intellect. Remain as the Self. Abide in the knowledge - I am the Self, I am not the karta, bhokta. 3. Why is isavasyam idam sarvam not a mental upasana - isavasyam idam sarvam is knowledge of our true self, This is not a mental activity. It is knowling, who i truely am. When i identify myself with the body, mind and intellect, i think that i am so and so. With Self- knowledge, i know my true nature as the all pervading consciousness. I alone am everything in this world. There is nothing apart from me, the pure Self.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft