Advanced Vedanta
Lesson 22 - Videhamukhthi
Poll:

Hari Om!

5th question in the lesson 22 is as follows:

Externally it appears that both the ajñānin and the Jñānin suffer. In this context which of the following are true?

d.)The ajñānin gives validity to the suffering by the ahaṅkāra; not so the Jñānin. ✘

Could you please explain why this option is wrong for the above question?

Thank you..

Hari Om! 5th question in the lesson 22 is as follows: Externally it appears that both the ajñānin and the Jñānin suffer. In this context which of the following are true? d.)The ajñānin gives validity to the suffering by the ahaṅkāra; not so the Jñānin. ✘ Could you please explain why this option is wrong for the above question? Thank you..

Hari Om!

Please let me know what the other choices for answer are. One of the other choices may be a better choice.

Hari Om! Please let me know what the other choices for answer are. One of the other choices may be a better choice.

Hari Om!

This is select all that apply question. So we have multiple answers to select from the choices. Here are the choices:

1.) The body–mind complex undergoes enjoyment and suffering. Self is
beyond it. Jñānin identifies with Self and not with the body–mind
complex.
2.) Both have to suffer as along as the body exists irrespective of their
ignorance or knowledge.
3.) Ahaṅkāra is the cause of misery for the ajñānin, and never for the
Jñānin.
4.) The Jñānin is indifferent (udāsīna) to the suffering, but not the ajñānin.
5.) The ajñānin gives validity to the suffering by the ahaṅkāra; not so the
Jñānin.

Thank you!

Hari Om! This is select all that apply question. So we have multiple answers to select from the choices. Here are the choices: 1.) The body–mind complex undergoes enjoyment and suffering. Self is beyond it. Jñānin identifies with Self and not with the body–mind complex. 2.) Both have to suffer as along as the body exists irrespective of their ignorance or knowledge. 3.) Ahaṅkāra is the cause of misery for the ajñānin, and never for the Jñānin. 4.) The Jñānin is indifferent (udāsīna) to the suffering, but not the ajñānin. 5.) The ajñānin gives validity to the suffering by the ahaṅkāra; not so the Jñānin. Thank you!
edited Sep 27 '23 at 6:59 pm

Hari Om!

I think the question is either framed poorly or deliberately trying to trick the student.

Assuming the teacher is trying to make sure that the student has really understood the point that a jnani identifies with the atma only and not the anatma, the question is making an observation, that both jnani and ajnani are suffering externally meaning at the body, mind, intellect levels.

From the multiple choice of answers, 1,3,4 and 5, one should deduce that only the ajnani would suffer and the jnani would not. So the correct choice is only 2, because as long as prarabdha continues, regardless of whether one is a jnani or an ajnani, the person has to go through experiences.

Hari Om! I think the question is either framed poorly or deliberately trying to trick the student. Assuming the teacher is trying to make sure that the student has really understood the point that a jnani identifies with the atma only and not the anatma, the question is making an observation, that both jnani and ajnani are suffering externally meaning at the body, mind, intellect levels. From the multiple choice of answers, 1,3,4 and 5, one should deduce that only the ajnani would suffer and the jnani would not. So the correct choice is only 2, because as long as prarabdha continues, regardless of whether one is a jnani or an ajnani, the person has to go through experiences.

Hari Om!

Thank you. Is the world perceived, when one is completely absorbed in the understanding ‘I am Brahman’?(a question from lesson 24)

To my understanding, If a person is completely absorbed in "I am Brahman" i.e in the stage of Turyaga, there's no perception of world and everything gets dissolved..

Hari Om! Thank you. Is the world perceived, when one is completely absorbed in the understanding ‘I am Brahman’?(a question from lesson 24) To my understanding, If a person is completely absorbed in "I am Brahman" i.e in the stage of Turyaga, there's no perception of world and everything gets dissolved..
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft